Monday, December 7, 2009

Journal My Christmas - December 6th

Memories

When we were younger my grandpa would give each of the kids a can of Planter's Peanuts on Christmas morning. We always knew that would be waiting for us at Grandpa and Grandma's.

Christmas morning we would go to Grandpa and Grandma's for a southern breakfast. Ham with red eye gravy, biscuits and all the other goodies.

My grandma made date nut rolls and they were soooooooo good.

I came home from college and that Christmas my grandma had crocheted a beautiful afgan in pinks (my favorite color) It meant alot to me and I still have it.

One Christmas Santa gave me a beautiful bride doll. I just loved her and she was one of my treasures. She is still in my cedar chest. I always kept her there and no one ever played with her.

One year my mom kept claiming poverty and said that Christmas was going to be bleak. She was being very sly, that year she gave each of us a camcorder and all the supplies. She was so proud of herself that she had us fooled.

We started having family Christmas brunch instead of a big dinner. It was great cause we could open presents and eat our fun brunch. The rest of the day was stress free and was awesome.

One Christmas in Washington the whole Warriner crew worked together to create a quilt for "mom" Warriner. It had personalized squares from each boy, all 3 wives and the grandchildren. It seems ironic at this point because we had only been married a year and had no kids yet and unfortunately never did, so no squares ever needed to be added. Since mom passed away - Maria now has the quilt and will pass on to one of the girls eventually. It really was a blessing to make and even though mom kept it in a dresser drawer, she was truly blessed by it.

I coaxed the Cahill clan to do the same and we created a quilt for mom with all of us and her friends. It turned out awesome except the fact it has never been finished. I need to work on getting it done. Good project for 2010.

No comments: