Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Journal My Christmas - December 9th

Traditions~

Hummmm.........what are our Christmas Traditions

1. Sending out a newsletter with our Christmas cards. Many find them annoying but it seems that the Warriner clan loves them. Dave's Aunt Lilo always comments on how she looks forward to reading what is new. Since they all live in Washington and we live in Nevada it is our way of connecting with them.

2. We love to decorate. The more festive we can make our home the better. Tree all decked out along with the yard and any place else that needs some extra decor. I really enjoy it. Next year we will get back in the swing of things.

3. Stockings - we have Mickey and Minnie stockings that we hang up each year and they get filled to the brim with goodies. We usually open our stockings on Christmas Eve. We even have stockings for the doggies.

4. We open our presents on Christmas morning and then head to moms for more presents and brunch. Brunch is a new tradition that we all love. No more have to rush and put together a dinner. Makes for a relaxing Christmas day.

5. Mom loves coffee so every year she gets a basket full of Gloria Jeans coffee. Each year there is a theme and she gets other goodies in her basket to go with the theme.

6. During the holidays a few years ago, I started making coconut cream pies from scratch. I don't like them but other family members did. So found a recipe, tweaked it a bit and voila the best coconut cream pie anyone has ever tasted. When I make these I have to make multiple because everyone wants their own.

7. Caramel corn is the latest tradition. It has proven to be a great gift for our pastors and friends. I think they are beginning to expect it now.

8. Going out after Christmas and buying all the fun decorations and goodies on sale, we love Christmas clearance. That is something we have definitely done year to year.

I thought maybe I had no traditions but that is obviously not true. There are lots of things I do year to year so that constitutes a tradition.

This season has taught me to relax and not take things so seriously. I need to focus more on the meaning of the season and not all the hustle and bustle. Guess that will be the newest tradition.

No comments: